Mainland Companies

Mainland Companies

Until recently, the UAE did not allow foreign ownership of local (mainland) companies. The UAE law stipulated that nationals must own at least 51 % of the company’s share capital, while the remaining 49 % may belong to foreigners. However, this rule has been changed for most business activities, and foreigners are now allowed to own 100 % of a company located in mainland. This step is believed to make mainland companies more attractive, given the fact that they have the following advantages:

  • The freedom to trade anywhere in the UAE or outside the country
  • The ability to conduct a wide range of business activities
  • Premises/offices may be located anywhere in the country
  • No restrictions on real estate ownership

Mainland companies can be incorporated as a company with one or more owners, as a branch or a representative office of a foreign company, or as a professional/civil firm.

Other benefits and characteristics:

Other benefits and characteristics:

  • No corporate taxation (9 % effect from the financial year beginning 1 June 2023 or after)
  • Freedom to repatriate capital and profits
  • No currency exchange control
  • No minimum capital
  • No personal income tax
  • Possibility to get UAE residence visas for owners, managers, employees

Mainland companies can use Double Tax Treaties.